Wike-backed PDP says it will not form an alliance with the APC in 2027

6 days ago 1
ARTICLE AD BOX

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), supported by Federal Capital Territory Minister Nyesom Wike, says it is confident of its prospects for the 2027 general elections, stressing that it has no alliance with the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) and is determined to defeat the APC at the polls.

FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike- fct-tragedy-of-revenue-collecting-toutsFCT Minister, Nyesom Wike.

PDP National Publicity Secretary Jungudo Mohammed disclosed this position in an exclusive interview with our correspondent on Tuesday.

When asked about reports of an APC‑PDP alliance, Mohammed described the suggestion as “mischievous.”

“Some people have continued to make claims that the PDP is in alliance with the APC, but such statements are mischievous,” he said.

“Considering the current situation within the APC and the defections the PDP is receiving, there is no basis for such allegations. We have no alliance or romance with the APC. The PDP is on its own, and our target is to defeat the APC. And we will defeat the APC come 2027.”

He added that the party’s ongoing screening and nomination exercise is proceeding smoothly, with aspirants from several states already submitting their forms.

“The screening of aspirants for the 2027 election will commence tomorrow. Screening for some aspirants will be conducted in their respective states, while the screening for governorship and presidential aspirants will be held at Legacy House on Thursday. There will be no screening exercise at the secretariat.

So far, the process has been highly commendable and is progressing smoothly.

Aspirants are already returning their forms. As I speak with you, I am at Wadata Plaza waiting for people submitting their forms from Bauchi and other states.

We have received a good number of governorship aspirants who have returned their forms, including three aspirants each from Plateau, Taraba, Nasarawa, and several other states.

The exercise has been smooth, with no hitches. Aspirants have shown great enthusiasm, happiness, and confidence in the process. We are optimistic about the outcome of the exercise and hopeful that after the primaries, 2027 will be a good year for the PDP.”

In a related development, PDP stakeholders reiterated that no court judgment has nullified the Abdulrahman Mohammed‑ and Samuel Anyanwu‑led National Working Committee (NWC), maintaining that the existing leadership structure remains legally binding.

Speaking on behalf of the PDP Survival Movement, its President Okoh Bartholomew addressed a press conference in Abuja on Tuesday. He questioned the legality of the Tanimu Turaki‑led Interim National Working Committee (INWC).

Bartholomew dismissed claims that a Supreme Court judgment affected the position of the party’s national secretary, Anyanwu, insisting that the ruling was being deliberately misrepresented to mislead party members and the public.

He explained that court records and Certified True Copies of judgments from the Federal High Court, the Court of Appeal, and the Supreme Court show that the matter before the apex court involved only the PDP National Legal Adviser, Adeyemi Kamaldeen Ajibade (SAN), and not Anyanwu.

“The facts are straightforward. Senator Samuel N. Anyanwu was not a party to the specific cross‑appeal being referenced by those pushing this propaganda,” he said.

“His name did not appear in the matter now being mischievously interpreted to mislead party members. We challenge anyone to produce a CTC where Senator Samuel N. Anyanwu’s name was specifically mentioned in the judgment.

“The law is settled: no court can make binding pronouncements against an individual who was not a party before it in the specific proceedings being determined. You cannot bind a man to a judgment in a suit where he was not a party. The attempt to link his name to this case is a legal hallucination intended to create a crisis where none exists.”

He continued, “Assuming, though not conceding, that a suspension occurred, it is a matter of record contained in the very document being relied upon and the PDP Constitution that such an action was limited to 30 days only by those now pushing exaggerated political consequences.

“During this 30‑day window, Anyanwu took no executive decisions that could have legally or administratively truncated the Abuja convention, while the clock on the purported suspension ran out.

“No court declared the convention illegal. No court nullified the convention discussions. No judicial order extinguished the authority of the subsisting NWC structure aligned with Senator Anyanwu.

“What then is the constitutional basis for the propaganda currently being circulated? There is none. What exists instead is an attempt to manufacture legal consequences that simply do not exist in law or judicial pronouncement.”

The PDP Survival Movement clarified that the November 3, 2025, letter introducing Abdulrahman as acting national chairman was never acted upon by INEC, which was awaiting a Court of Appeal judgment at the time.

Bartholomew added that conflating that letter with a separate December 7 correspondence was misleading, noting that the two documents differed in timing, context, and legal effect.

Read more on this