UK withdraws diplomatic staff from Iran as Mideast war rages

4 weeks ago 23
ARTICLE AD BOX

This screen grab made on July 15, 2026, from a handout video released by US Central Command on July 13, 2026, shows what the US military says is a strike in Iran. The United States carried out a fresh round of strikes on Iran and renewed a blockade of its ports, while Tehran targeted American allies in the Gulf and vowed the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed “until the US ends its aggression”. (Photo by US Central Command Public Affairs / AFP) / THIS PICTURE WAS BLURRED AT SOURCE — RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE – MANDATORY CREDIT “AFP PHOTO / US CENTRAL COMMAND PUBLIC AFFAIRS” – HANDOUT – NO MARKETING NO ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS – DISTRIBUTED AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS

The United Kingdom has withdrawn remaining diplomatic staff from Iran as the conflict with the US continued to escalate with a 12th night of airstrikes.

The Foreign Office of the United Kingdom (FCDO) stated on their website that: “Due to the security situation, UK staff have been temporarily withdrawn from Iran.

“Our embassy continues to operate remotely.”

The FCDO advises against all travel to Iran, saying British and dual British-Iranian residents face “significant risk of arrest, questioning or detention”.

The United States Central Command said late on Wednesday that the 12th night of attacks was designed to “further degrade Iran’s ability to threaten civilian mariners and commercial vessels transiting regional waters”.

Missiles struck near the cities of Ahvaz, Ramshir and Andimeshk in western Iran, according to Iranian state media.

Kuwait’s army said on X that the country’s air defences were “confronting attacks by hostile drones, following the sinful Iranian aggression”.

President Donald Trump had warned earlier that one bridge or power plant would be destroyed for each ship shot at by Iran in the Strait of Hormuz.

The Foreign Minister of Iran, Seyed Abbas Araghchi, said that Iran would adopt an “eye for an eye” approach.

“Any aggression against Iran, including our infrastructure, will compel a powerful and decisive response,” he posted on X on Wednesday.

The 11th night of strikes on Iran into Wednesday saw air defences opening fire over the capital Tehran.

Iran launched a missile attack on a Jordanian city while alerts were sounded in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.

Iran has responded to U.S. attacks by targeting energy infrastructure and desalination plants which provide drinking water in neighbouring Gulf countries.

International law generally prohibits such attacks unless the infrastructure is being used for military purposes.

(PA Media/dpa/NAN)

Read more on this