UK PM Announces Social Media Ban for Users Under 16

2 months ago 27
ARTICLE AD BOX
UK PM announces ban on social media for under-16s

On Monday, Prime Minister Keir Starmer announced that children under 16 will be prohibited from using social media in the United Kingdom, citing the platforms’ impact on young people’s happiness.

While some children’s charities welcomed the sweeping change and anticipated a significant clash with U.S. tech giants, others warned that the ban could reduce teenagers’ safety online.

Starmer, who may face a leadership challenge in the coming weeks, said that social media sites expose children to “dangerous” content that is “designed to be addictive.”

The ban will cover platforms such as Snapchat, TikTok, YouTube, Instagram, Facebook and X, but will not apply to messaging services like WhatsApp, the government said.

Reactions from young people were mixed.

“I think it’s a good thing, to be honest, because I don’t even remember what age I was when I got Instagram, but it was just way too early,” student Connie Skitt, 19, told AFP in Buxton, central England. “You’re making friends with people you don’t know. It’s like, not that safe.”

However, 18‑year‑old tour guide Tom Warvell said that 16 was “a little bit high,” arguing that younger teens would benefit more from the restriction. “Times have changed so it is important for people to still be able to use it,” he added.

– Australian example –

Starmer said the forthcoming ban was influenced by Australia, which in December became the first country to prohibit people under 16 from accessing social media.

The UK leader said he hopes to pass the regulation by late December and for the ban to take effect within months next year.

He indicated that YouTube Kids, Lego Play and Google Classroom would not be prohibited.

The government also said it would consider overnight curfews and breaks in infinite scrolling for minors, and would announce further details in July.

Australia’s Prime Minister Anthony Albanese welcomed the move on X, saying: “Social media giants operate across borders. By standing together, we can do more to hold them accountable and keep children safe online.”

Canada and France are among other countries considering similar bans, while Indonesia began enforcing its ban for users under 16 in March.

The United Kingdom’s ban could anger U.S. President Donald Trump after the U.S. embassy in London earlier this month opposed “broad social media bans.”

Starmer’s announcement follows a government‑led consultation in which British teenagers tested social media bans and time limits on apps.

The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children insisted that the policy must include “robust age checks on platforms” and “an effective enforcement regime.”

Save The Children UK voiced concerns that a ban “pushes children into less regulated spaces, where they are less likely to seek help when something goes wrong.”

– Blocking ‘harmful functions’ –

A YouTube spokesperson warned that a blanket ban would push children toward “less safe services.”

Meanwhile the government said it would block “harmful functions” on gaming services and live‑streaming platforms that allow strangers to contact children.

“Is there a situation in the offline world where you would just let your child pair up with a stranger? An adult that you don’t know about? No. So we’re taking action on that,” Starmer said, without giving details.

The British consultation, which closed in late May, attracted about 116,000 contributions – the second‑largest response ever received under the consultation system.

More than four‑fifths of responding parents said social media’s risks outweighed the benefits for children, with 91 percent backing a minimum age of 16.

The UK announcement comes a week after the government said tech giants must stop children in Britain from being able to send and receive nude images on their devices.

Britain’s interior ministry said it was giving companies, including Apple and Google, three months to introduce safety features to block children from taking and accessing naked photos on phones and tablets.

If they fail to do so, the government will introduce legislation forcing them to activate the technology, it warned.

According to analysis by the Internet Watch Foundation charity cited by the government, 91 percent of online child sexual abuse reports recorded in 2024 contained self‑generated content from children themselves.

The post UK PM announces ban on social media for under‑16s appeared first on Vanguard News.

Read more on this