ARTICLE AD BOX
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu assured Abuja residents that the construction of two service carriageways on the Southern Parkway will markedly ease traffic congestion, improve connectivity, and accelerate development across the city’s southern districts.
Speaking at the official flag‑off in Gaduwa District on Tuesday, the president, represented by All Progressives Congress National Chairman Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, described the project as a key element of his administration’s infrastructure renewal programme and the Renewed Hope Agenda.
He said, “The Southern Parkway remains one of the most strategic corridors in the Abuja Master Plan, linking several districts across the southern axis of the capital city.”
“The Southern Parkway is a major route of the Southern Development Corridor. It starts from the Inner Southern Expressway in Phase One and terminates at the same corridor in Phase Four. When fully developed, it will enhance vehicular traffic circulation within the southern part of the city and provide vital inter‑district connections across the Federal Capital Territory,” he added.
President Tinubu noted that the main carriageway, now called the Bola Ahmed Tinubu Way, had already been completed and commissioned, but the service lanes are essential to fulfil the original vision for the corridor.
“These service carriageways are not a luxury. They are designed to ease access and improve mobility for our people. Residents of Durumi, Gudu, Gaduwa and the mass housing estates in Phase Two face heavy traffic congestion daily. When these service lanes are completed, travel time will reduce, businesses will save money and families will spend less time on the road. That is the dividend of democracy and the Renewed Hope Nigerians can see and feel,” he said.
The president said the project is part of a broader infrastructure revolution, citing completed and ongoing works across the FCT, including the Arterial Road N20, now Professor Wole Soyinka Way, the N16 Interchange linking Jahi and Gwarimpa, and road networks in Kuje, Gwagwalada and Mabushi.
He praised Federal Capital Territory Minister Nyesom Wike for his “exceptional leadership and commitment to delivering infrastructure projects.”
“Mr. Wike, you have truly earned the name ‘Mr. Projects.’ Since assuming office, you have revived abandoned projects, set clear targets and delivered them in record time. You have brought discipline, vision and political will to the administration of the FCT. Nigerians are seeing the transformation and feeling its impact,” he said.
Tinubu also lauded Minister of State for FCT Dr. Mariya Mahmoud and the entire FCT Administration for maintaining quality standards and ensuring effective project supervision.
Addressing residents of affected communities, the president urged patience during construction, acknowledging that diversions, traffic delays and temporary inconveniences would occur.
“To the contractor, CGC Nigeria Limited, we expect speed but we demand quality. Employ our youths, train our artisans and ensure this project becomes a source of jobs and skills acquisition for Nigerians,” he added.
Earlier, FCT Minister Nyesom Barr. Wike dismissed concerns that infrastructure development could slow down because of the approaching election season, insisting that the administration remained focused on completing ongoing projects.
“Today is our 10th day of commissioning projects, but some people have asked whether projects will now be abandoned because elections are approaching. The answer is no. Elections or no elections, we must continue implementing the directive of Mr. President to transform the Federal Capital Territory,” Wike said.
The minister expressed confidence that Abuja’s landscape would be significantly transformed before the end of Tinubu’s first term.
“By the time Mr. President finishes his first tenure on May 29, 2027, before he is sworn in for a second tenure, the landscape of Abuja would have entirely changed, by the grace of God,” he declared.
Wike disclosed that he had personally engaged the management of CGC Nigeria Limited on the project timeline and received assurances that the contractor would work round the clock to deliver the project, provided the government fulfilled its funding obligations.
“I want this road commissioned before we go into the elections in January 2027. I assure CGC Nigeria Limited that the FCT Administration will not fail in its obligation to pay for the work done. We have confidence in your capacity because this is not the first challenging project you have successfully delivered,” he said.
The minister also warned against illegal developments and land grabbing along the project corridor, directing officials of the Development Control Department and Lands Department to identify and remove structures erected on lands not legally allocated.
“Those who have forged documents and encroached on government land should know that it will not work. Any illegal structure along the corridor will be removed. We must protect the integrity of the Abuja Master Plan,” he warned.
In his technical presentation, Acting Executive Secretary of the Federal Capital Development Authority Engr. Richard Yunana Dauda explained that the contract for the construction of the two service carriageways was awarded to CGC Nigeria Limited in May 2026 and that the contractor had already mobilised to site.
He said the project covers approximately three kilometres of dual service roads, construction of two river bridges, drainage facilities, culverts and street lighting infrastructure.
According to Dauda, the Southern Parkway serves as the vehicular spine of the Southern Development Corridor and will provide seamless inter‑district connectivity from the Central Area to Phase Four districts of the city.
“When completed, the project will significantly reduce the heavy traffic congestion currently experienced on roads such as Shehu Yar’Adua Way, Oladipo Diya Way and other connecting routes serving Durumi, Gudu, Gaduwa and Duboyi districts,” he said.
Delivering the vote of thanks, Acting Head of Service of the FCT Administration Mrs. Nancy Sabanti Nathan expressed appreciation to President Tinubu for approving the project and to stakeholders whose support made the initiative possible.
She described the project as a critical intervention that would ease traffic congestion, improve transportation efficiency and stimulate economic activities in the affected districts.
Nathan also urged the contractor to maintain the highest standards of quality and safety while adhering strictly to the agreed delivery timelines.
The Southern Parkway service carriageways project is expected to further open up the southern development corridor of Abuja, improve access to emerging residential districts and strengthen the capital city’s transportation infrastructure as part of the Federal Government’s urban renewal drive.

1 month ago
20






English (US) ·