ARTICLE AD BOX
The Ondo State Police Command announced that it has rescued 12 people who were abducted early on Saturday in Isua‑Akoko, Akoko South‑East Local Government Area. The victims were passengers on two commercial Hiace buses travelling from Benue State to Ibadan.
DSP Abayomi Jimoh, the command’s spokesperson, said the police received a distress call at about 0130 hrs that the buses had been violently intercepted by suspected armed kidnappers. The attackers allegedly forced several passengers out of the vehicles and led them into a nearby forest.
“Following the report, the police immediately launched a coordinated rescue operation. Operatives from the command, local hunters and other security stakeholders were swiftly mobilised to the scene,” Jimoh explained. “Upon arrival, the combined rescue team began an intensive bush‑combing operation across the surrounding forests and difficult terrain where the victims were believed to have been taken. Intelligence‑led surveillance and strategic tracking efforts were simultaneously intensified to trail the fleeing suspects and facilitate the safe rescue of the remaining victims.”
The sustained pressure by the security team resulted in the successful rescue of 12 abducted individuals, including the drivers of the affected buses. The rescued victims are currently receiving medical care and arrangements are being made to reunite them with their families.
Jimoh assured the public that operations are still underway to secure the release of the remaining victims and to bring all those involved to justice. He added that additional tactical and intelligence assets have been deployed to reinforce the ongoing rescue and manhunt operations.
Commissioner of Police Felix Ohagwu visited the incident site and held strategic meetings with community leaders, local vigilante groups and other stakeholders. “The CP stressed the need for sustained collaboration between the police, local communities and other security actors to facilitate the rescue of the remaining victims, apprehend the fleeing suspects and prevent future criminal activities in the area,” he said. Ohagwu praised the bravery, professionalism and swift response of the police operatives, tactical teams, local hunters and other security collaborators involved in the operation. He urged residents to remain calm, vigilant and supportive of security agencies by providing timely and credible information that can aid ongoing operations and broader crime prevention efforts.
The command remains resolute in its determination to combat kidnapping and other violent crimes and will continue to deploy all lawful means necessary to ensure the safety and security of residents across Ondo State. (NAN)
The post Ondo: Police rescue 12 kidnapped passengers, intensify search for others appeared first on Vanguard News.

3 hours ago
1











English (US) ·