ARTICLE AD BOX
The Italian government has sharply denied claims that U.S. President Donald Trump said Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni “begged” for a photograph during the recent G7 summit in France.
The dispute began on Friday after Trump spoke on La7 television, where he alleged that Meloni requested a photo opportunity with him at the G7 meeting in Évian‑les‑Bains and that he complied even though he was not obliged to do so.
Rome reacted quickly, with Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani calling the remarks “serious and offensive” to both Meloni and Italy. Tajani also cancelled a planned trip to the United States that weekend in response to the controversy.
In a video message, Meloni dismissed Trump’s account, saying she felt compelled to respond publicly.
“Donald Trump’s statements are completely fabricated. I am frankly stunned,” she said, adding that she did not understand “why the President of the United States behaves this way toward his own allies,” and noting that similar incidents had occurred before.
She explained that she was speaking out because “certain things deserve an immediate response.”
Meloni also criticized Trump’s approach to Western allies, saying:
“I can only say that it is a shame he does not show the same determination toward the enemies of the West, toward the enemies of the United States, toward leaders with whom he is, instead, much more accommodating.”
She concluded emphatically: “But there is one thing he must remember: Italy and I do not beg.”
The White House has not yet issued a response to Meloni’s remarks.
The exchange highlights growing diplomatic tensions between Washington and Rome over several global issues. Although Meloni was once seen as one of Trump’s closest European allies, relations have reportedly become strained over disagreements about the Iran conflict, the war in Ukraine, U.S. tariffs, and Washington’s support for Israel’s operations in Gaza.
Following Meloni’s response, several senior Italian officials voiced support for the Prime Minister across party lines.
Transport Minister Matteo Salvini said: “Whoever attacks Giorgia Meloni attacks all of us.”
Justice Minister Carlo Nordio also condemned Trump’s remarks, noting:
“The thousands of crosses marking the graves of American soldiers who died to free us from Nazi‑Fascist dictatorship did not deserve such a painful blow to our fraternal ties.”
Defence Minister Guido Crosetto dismissed the suggestion that Meloni would request a photograph in such a manner, adding:
“I can, however, imagine how much it cost her to set aside what Trump had said weeks ago, to serve the interests of Italy, of Europe, and of the West. Jokes of this kind do no good to anyone: neither to the USA, nor to Italy, nor to the alliance.”
Before Trump’s 2025 inauguration, Meloni visited him at Mar‑a‑Lago, where she described their discussions as productive, and Trump has previously praised her on several occasions.

1 month ago
26






English (US) ·