ARTICLE AD BOX
By Adeola Badru
Amid rising insecurity in the South‑West, following the abduction of pupils and teachers at Community High School, Ahoro‑Esinele, in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, Yoruba nation activist Chief Sunday Adeyemo, known as Sunday Igboho, has called on the Federal Government and the governors of the South‑West states to approve the launch of a proposed regional security outfit aimed at removing criminal elements from forests across Yorubaland.
Igboho said on Tuesday evening that all required procedures for the start of the ’Iru Ekun’ Security Network had been completed, and that the initiative was designed to tackle banditry, kidnapping and attacks by rogue herders who, he said, had infiltrated forests throughout the South‑West.
He added that the operation was still pending official approval from the relevant authorities.
Reacting to the abduction of pupils and the killing of one of the kidnapped teachers, Michael Oyedokun, Igboho expressed sympathy for the victims’ families, including the traumatised parents of the abducted pupils.
“I am only awaiting government approval to confront the worsening insecurity devastating the South‑West head‑on,” he said.
In a statement, Igboho said: “I do not want to commence our strategic and carefully coordinated offensive against these criminals without official approval from the Federal Government, South‑West governors and relevant security stakeholders, including the Police, the Department of State Services, the Nigerian Army and other agencies.”
“What happened in the Ahoro‑Esinele community, as well as previous security breaches, is deeply saddening, unfortunate and alarming, especially considering the suffering endured by the victims of abduction, particularly the innocent pupils.”
“My heart goes out to the parents of the abducted pupils and the families of the slain teachers and security personnel who lost their lives in these heinous acts.”
“However, this is the time to stop delaying decisive action capable of restoring peace, effective security and public confidence in our rural communities, which continue to bear the brunt of these avoidable killings and attacks carried out by bandits across the South‑West and parts of Kwara State.”
“We are fully prepared, alongside our men, to enter these forests and flush out the marauders who have made life unbearable for our people. We cannot continue to stand by helplessly while innocent citizens are murdered and abducted by bandits, rogue herders and kidnappers.”
“Our revered traditional rulers must also intervene by urging government authorities to grant immediate approval for the commencement of the Iru Ekun Security Network in order to curb the rising wave of insecurity plaguing the South‑West,” he said.
The post Insecurity: Sunday Igboho demands urgent approval for ’Iru Ekun’ security network appeared first on Vanguard News.

2 hours ago
1











English (US) ·