Imo North APC Primaries: No One Forced Us to Step Down, Says Anyanwu and Others

3 hours ago 1
ARTICLE AD BOX
 Nobody forced us to step down – Anyanwu, others

By Emmanuel Iheaka, OWERRI

The three former aspirants for the Imo North senatorial seat—Chief Longers Anyanwu, Hon Gloria Akobundu, and Kennedy Odoeme—stated that they voluntarily stepped down to allow the incumbent, Senator Patrick Ndubueze, to run in the recently concluded All Progressives Congress (APC) primary.

These candidates, who were considered strong contenders, announced their withdrawal shortly before the primary began. They also pledged their support for Ndubueze and urged their supporters to vote for the incumbent.

During a press briefing in Owerri on Saturday, the former aspirants explained that their decision was made in respect of the zoning arrangement in the area. They reaffirmed that Ndubueze was declared the winner of the election and urged the public to disregard any reports suggesting otherwise.

“Party faithful in the senatorial district turned out in their numbers and cast their votes for aspirants of their choice without hindrance or intimidation,” they said. “The climax, at least in Okigwe zone, was the overwhelming reaffirmation today of His Excellency, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu as the party’s presidential candidate for a second consecutive time.”

“The exercise in Imo State and especially in Imo North was unprecedentedly hitch‑free and devoid of the wrangling previously associated with party primaries of this magnitude. Both the primaries organizing committees, the aspirants and their supporters conducted themselves in an orderly manner and the process leading to the emergence of candidates at all levels was not only seamless but applauded by all.”

They acknowledged and commended the significant role of the “Renewed Hope Ambassadors,” who from ward, local and state levels coordinated the collation of the Presidential Primaries today in Imo State.

“A striking case was the Imo North Senatorial District primaries which took place on Monday, 18th May, 2026,” the trio added. “The three of us, strong aspirants namely: Chief Longers Anyanwu, Princess Gloria Akobundu and Mr. Kennedy Ike Odoeme, in the race for the Imo North Senatorial primary election stepped down for the serving Senator, Engr. Patrick Ndubueze and instructed our supporters to vote for him. We came to that decision not only in obedience to the existing zoning arrangement by the elders and leaders of the Senatorial District which favours Senator Ndubueze.”

“On account of that bold step, the registered APC members in Imo North trooped out in their numbers to cast their votes for Senator Ndubueze who eventually clinched the ticket,” they continued. “The narrative being bandied about in the media projecting someone else as the Imo North senatorial candidate should be disregarded. The primary election in the district was conducted, results collated and announced as appropriate by the returning officer duly assigned so to do by the APC National Working Committee (NWC) and we are certain that the committee has submitted the results to the appropriate authorities.”

The post Imo North APC Primaries: Nobody forced us to step down – Anyanwu, others appeared first on Vanguard News.

Read more on this