ICPC: ADC Leaders Denied Access to Nasir El‑Rufai Under Existing Court Order

1 hour ago 3
ARTICLE AD BOX

Alex Enumah in Abuja

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has defended its decision to deny access to leaders of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) for a visit to former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El‑Rufai, stating that the action was in line with a standing court order.

ICPC spokesman John Odey addressed the allegations on Sunday, after the ADC claimed that its leaders were harassed and denied entry during a Friday visit to the former governor.

Odey said the commission had formally responded to the ADC after receiving a letter requesting that certain party leaders be allowed to meet El‑Rufai.

“Yes, we denied them. They wrote to us saying that they wanted to come and visit El‑Rufai. They listed those people who came: Aregbesola, Bolaji Abdullahi, and others,” he explained.

“We got their letter on the 20th or thereabouts and replied to them on the 21st that they should not come because the court order was specific,” Odey added.

The court order, he said, permits access only to the former governor’s immediate family members, legal counsel, and medical doctors.

“The access is limited to the category of his immediate family members, his legal counsel, and his medical doctors. Based on the court order, under the circumstances, we are not able to grant them their request to visit,” he stated.

When asked whether the ADC was notified before arriving at the ICPC office, Odey maintained that the party received the commission’s response.

“The letter was given to them, and it was stamped that they received it. But there is evidence that ADC received the letter. The fact remains that ADC is a political association and does not fall under the category that the court ordered us to grant access,” he said.

Odey also dismissed claims that ADC leaders were intimidated or harassed by security personnel at the commission’s headquarters.

“No, no, no. They were not harassed. No harassment whatsoever. They were not intimidated,” he said.

He noted that armed police officers stationed at the ICPC gate were part of routine security arrangements.

“Usually, you know that we have a detachment of mobile policemen at the gate all the time. Sometimes you see their trucks parked there. Those are the things they saw that they said we brought three trailers of police,” he stated.

The ICPC spokesman reiterated that the commission would continue to comply with the court order restricting access to the former governor.

“We will not allow them. The court was specific, stating that the persons allowed are his immediate family, his lawyers, and his doctors. Anybody outside that category, we do not have the authority of the court to grant access,” he said.

He added that the commission was acting in accordance with the law and ensuring El‑Rufai’s safety while in custody.

“We are apolitical. We did not bring police officers to intimidate them. The police officers have always been there,” Odey said.

The ADC had earlier accused the ICPC of obstructing access to El‑Rufai after senior party leaders were prevented from seeing him at the commission’s headquarters in Abuja.

The party also alleged that heavily armed police officers were deployed to the premises during the visit, describing the action as intimidation targeted at opposition figures.

In a statement issued in Abuja, the party’s National Publicity Secretary Bolaji Abdullahi said the ADC had formally written to ICPC Chairman Musa Aliyu, requesting visitation rights amid concerns over El‑Rufai’s well‑being.

Read more on this