I had no hand in Obasa’s impeachment — Desmond Elliot

1 hour ago 1
ARTICLE AD BOX

Desmond Elliot, the Surulere I representative in the Lagos State House of Assembly, has denied claims that he was a key figure in the 2025 impeachment of Speaker Mudashiru Obasa.

During a Tuesday interview on “Sunrise Daily,” a program on Channels Television, Elliot said he neither initiated nor orchestrated the impeachment proceedings.

The former Nollywood actor, now politician, explained that he was abroad when Obasa was removed from the speakership. He only signed the impeachment document after returning and finding that most lawmakers had already endorsed it.

“It was a topic that was already dead and buried. It was sorted out and the House is already moving on. Right Honourable Mudashiru Obasa continued as the Speaker of the House,” Elliot said.

“I did not mastermind anything. I had nothing at all. The only thing I did was to append my signature when I came back and I saw a bunch of us, if not all of us, had already appended a signature to say, ‘Oh, it was the party who wanted it.’”

“But eventually, the number one Asiwaju called and said, ‘I didn’t order that, I didn’t know anything about it,’” he added.

Elliot’s statements come after accusations from Femi Gbajabiamila, Chief of Staff to President Bola Tinubu, who suggested that Elliot was among those responsible for the controversial move against the Speaker.

Gbajabiamila made the remark at an All Progressives Congress (APC) stakeholders’ meeting in Lagos last Thursday, noting that Elliot’s alleged involvement had nearly cost him his position.

Read more on this