ARTICLE AD BOX
Gbenga Hashim, co‑chairman of the Movement for Democratic Renewal (MDR) and former presidential candidate for the Accord Party, has called a Federal High Court order that deregisters five political parties—including the African Democratic Congress (ADC) and the Accord Party—a threat to Nigeria’s multi‑party democracy.
In a statement released on Tuesday, Hashim said the ruling confirmed concerns he had voiced since 2024 about a coordinated effort to weaken opposition politics ahead of the 2027 general elections.
He said recent political developments indicate attempts to diminish competition by weakening opposition parties and their structures.
Hashim alleged that opposition governors were pressured to defect to the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) and that opposition parties had been weakened by internal disputes and leadership crises.
He also accused the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) of setting an electoral timetable he said was inconsistent with the Electoral Act 2026, claiming the commission had not made adjustments despite ongoing legal challenges.
Regarding the court order that affects the ADC, Accord Party, and three other parties, Hashim called the development a major setback for opposition politics and democratic participation.
He argued that Nigeria’s democratic system is founded on multi‑party participation and urged stakeholders to safeguard democratic institutions and electoral integrity.
Hashim also referred to ongoing legal proceedings, noting that an appeal had been filed against aspects of the case and that a hearing is scheduled for October 27, 2026.
The MDR co‑chairman urged political parties, civil society organisations, pro‑democracy groups, and citizens to stay engaged in defending democratic processes and strengthening the country’s electoral system.
He further urged his supporters and Accord Party members to remain committed to defending democracy and political pluralism in Nigeria.
At the time of filing this report, no official response had been issued by the APC, INEC, or the parties involved in the legal proceedings regarding Hashim’s claims.
The post Hashim faults court‑ordered deregistration of opposition parties appeared first on Vanguard News.

2 months ago
16






English (US) ·