FUHSO Defends MBBS Accreditation Process Amid Student Protests

1 hour ago 1
ARTICLE AD BOX

The Federal University of Health Sciences, Otukpo (FUHSO) has issued a statement defending its approach to the accreditation of its Medicine and Surgery (MBBS) programme after a wave of student protests and public scrutiny.

On Tuesday, Mr. Sunday A. Igah, the Head of Information, Public Relations and Protocol Unit, released a press statement in which the university sought to correct what it called misunderstandings about the accreditation process.

Mr. Igah noted that the current administration, headed by Prof. Francis Uba, took office on 13 May 2025 and inherited significant shortcomings. He said that, under the previous leadership, the MBBS programme had not received a Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) Resource Verification or Advisory Visit for four years.

The statement also claimed that statutory accreditation fees had not been paid and that formal engagement with the regulatory body had stalled. Additionally, FUHSO listed infrastructure deficiencies that it said hindered accreditation readiness: an abandoned Multi‑User Laboratory project, the lack of an Autopsy Centre, a deteriorated morgue, and laboratories that fell short of MDCN standards.

According to the university, the new administration has since prioritized the accreditation effort by paying the required fees, initiating formal dialogue with the MDCN, and launching infrastructure improvements.

Current projects include expanding the Anatomy Laboratory, upgrading the Human Physiology Laboratory, reconstructing and modernizing the morgue, building an Autopsy Centre, and completing the Multi‑User Laboratory project. The university also reported that a departmental bus for Community Medicine has been acquired, housing has been arranged for pioneer medical students, and staffing gaps have been filled through targeted recruitment.

Management added that students who had previously been sent home have been recalled, and that lectures and practical sessions are continuing as scheduled.

A key point of the statement was the confirmation that the MDCN accreditation visit to FUHSO is officially set for 21 May 2026. The institution described the visit as the result of sustained efforts over the past year and reiterated its commitment to achieving accreditation and safeguarding the academic prospects of its medical students.

The statement comes after recent demonstrations by students who voiced concerns about delays in accreditation and the impact on their academic progression within the MBBS programme.

Read more on this