ARTICLE AD BOX
Sen. Dave Umahi, the minister of works, has dismissed concerns about water accumulation on parts of the Lagos‑Calabar Coastal Highway.
He assured Nigerians that the highway, together with other legacy road projects, will be finished by 2031.
Umahi made the remarks on Friday while inspecting Sections One and Two of the highway with members of the National Assembly to assess progress.
The comments followed reports from road users and critics about flooding and potholes on certain stretches of the road.
The minister explained that the water seen in the median was part of a design provision for a future railway line.
“The median was designed for trains. What people see there is about 25 metres wide, almost like another dual carriageway,” he said.
He added that the pits in that area had been excavated and sand‑filled.
“The railway component was expected to commence immediately, but since that has not happened, we have directed the contractor to provide drainage for the median and connect it to the drainage system already in place,” Umahi said.
He acknowledged that water had also collected in some depressed sections of the road corridor, stating that corrective measures were already underway.
“Where there is a little depression, water can stay there. I take responsibility for that, and we are going to address it. There is nothing to worry about,” he said.
The minister also rejected claims that the highway would be abandoned before completion.
According to him, significant progress has already been made within two years of the project’s start.
“We started in 2024, and this is 2026. Section One, which is 47 km by six lanes, is completed, although the contract duration is three years,” Umahi said.
“Section Two, which is 55 km by six lanes, will be substantially completed by November,” he added.
He noted that construction was also progressing on Sections Three and Four of the highway in Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Ogun and Ondo states.
Umahi said that difficult terrains, deep swampy areas and environmental considerations had required redesigns and route adjustments in some locations.
“Engineering is dynamic. As we move and encounter difficult swampy terrain, we have to redesign,” he said.
“In some places, international environmental standards prevent us from passing through protected forest areas, so detours become necessary,” he added.
The minister praised the contractor, Hitech Construction Company, for its commitment to the project, noting that the contractor had continued work on several sections despite delayed payments.
Umahi said, “Hitech has continued working on some sections without payment. That demonstrates partnership in national development,” he said.
“I do not see more than three companies that can sustain this level of commitment without being paid,” he added.
Umahi disclosed that construction was ongoing on other legacy projects, including the Sokoto‑Bagadry Super Highway and major federal roads across Kebbi, Oyo, Gombe and Akwa Ibom states.
He reiterated the Federal Government’s commitment to completing all four legacy road projects initiated under President Bola Tinubu’s administration.
“All these projects will not exceed 2031. The four legacy projects will be completed by 2031,” Umahi said.
“I am assuring Nigerians that these projects will be delivered. We have Hitech, Infouest, CGC and other reputable contractors working with us,” he said.
The minister urged Nigerians to continue supporting and praying for the Tinubu administration so it can finish more transformative infrastructure projects across the country. (NAN)
The post FG explains flooding on Lagos‑Calabar Coastal Highway appeared first on Vanguard News.

1 month ago
21






English (US) ·