Court denies Sadiya Farouq's request to lift arrest warrant in alleged $1.3 million fraud case

2 months ago 30
ARTICLE AD BOX

The Federal Capital Territory High Court in Apo, Abuja, rejected an application filed by former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Sadiya Umar Farouq, that sought to annul a bench warrant and an earlier arrest warrant issued against her.

Justice Jude Onwuegbuzie delivered the judgment on Monday during hearings in a case alleging criminal conspiracy, abuse of office, and diversion of public funds.

The decision was announced in a statement posted on the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) official page.

Farouq is slated to face trial together with Bashir Nura Alkali and Sani Nafiu Mohammed over accusations of diverting approximately $1.3 million and N746.7 million.

Justice Onwuegbuzie ruled that the former minister did not appear in court without adequate justification, noting that the law permits the court to issue an arrest warrant when a defendant is absent without a valid reason.

“The defendant who is fully aware that this is a criminal proceeding has willfully failed to appear in court without a valid reason and the law empowers the court when it has been ascertained that the defendant is absent from court without a valid reason to issue a bench warrant of arrest,” the judge said.

The judge also challenged the medical report submitted by the defense, observing that the documents did not explain why the defendant could not attend court.

After the judgment, prosecution counsel Rotimi Jacobs, SAN, requested the court enforce an earlier undertaking supposedly made by defense counsel A.A. Ibrahim, SAN, to bring the former minister before the court.

Jacobs contended that the period cited in the defense’s medical report had already lapsed and asked the court to compel compliance with the undertaking.

“My lord, for a senior counsel to make an undertaking which is reflected in your lordship’s ruling, we crave your lordship to give effect to that undertaking,” Jacobs said.

In reply, A.M. Lawal, representing Ibrahim, requested that the court allow the senior counsel to personally address the undertaking issue.

Justice Onwuegbuzie granted the request and held that Ibrahim should be allowed to respond.

The case was adjourned to July 2, 2026, for arraignment.

Read more on this