ARTICLE AD BOX
Yinka Kolawole in Osogbo
The Ataoja of Osogbo, HRM Oba Jimoh Oyetunji Laaroye II, revealed how he avoided an assassin’s bullet fired by opposition thugs on the same day that large‑scale gun attacks were launched in Osogbo and Ede, Osun State.
Speaking after Governor Ademola Adeleke’s endorsement for a second term by the Ajegunle tradesmen and artisans’ group, the royal father said gunmen stormed his palace in an attempt to kill him.
He described the attacks on Osogbo and his palace as “political bitterness taken too far,” noting that his aides were shot and badly wounded. He added that the same group had been firing sporadically around Osogbo the previous Monday.
Oba Laaroye, who said he was clearly the target, insisted that the incident would not deter his endorsement or that of the people of Osogbo for Governor Adeleke’s re‑election, and that law‑enforcement action was already underway.
“My palace was attacked. I was obviously the target, all because of our support for Governor Adeleke’s re‑election. This is political bitterness taken too far. But I see the governor overcoming all his enemies because of his good work,” he said.
“Osogbo people are happy with his performance. As he is performing at Osogbo, he is doing the same at Ede and other towns. We have a duty to reward a governor who delivered to the voters and the people.”
“I appeal against political violence. I urge you all to use your votes to settle the matter. We have seen what governor Adeleke is doing. Osogbo will not abandon him. We are for the governor.”
“Mr. Governor, you have shown that you are a man of the people. You have shown strength. You will overcome your political enemies.”
“I ask Mr. Governor not to relent. Forge ahead and be vigilant. We are with you. They asked for my support but I told them it is not their turn.”
“I task security agencies to tighten security across Osun State. We are also supporting President Tinubu. We want the President to come to Osogbo and see how popular Governor Adeleke is,” the royal father added.
The Ajegunle tradesmen subsequently endorsed the governor, a decision that was unanimously approved by association members amid dancing and singing.
Commissioner for Commerce and Industry, Rev. Bunmi Jenyo, praised the tradesmen as “consistent loyalists” of Governor Adeleke, citing their support in previous elections and urging them to repeat the feat on August 15.
Yeye Dupe Adeleke‑Sanni, who represented Chief Launcher Dr. Adededji Adeleke at the event, donated a total of N80 million on behalf of global music icon David Adeleke and herself, urging the tradesmen to “vote Accord on August 15.”
Responding to the endorsement, Governor Adeleke thanked the group and called for renewed efforts in Osun State’s development, saying the decision was a “big boost” to his re‑election campaign.
“Ajegunle tradesmen, you have done it again. I accept this endorsement and I pledge never to let you down. Let us mobilise for an overwhelming victory on August 15th,” the governor said amid dancing and singing.
The event was attended by members of the National Assembly, the State Executive Council, and senior government officials.

2 months ago
23






English (US) ·