Alleged plot to abduct schoolchildren: Edo govt reopens schools days after closure

2 months ago 31
ARTICLE AD BOX

Just four days after three schools in Akoko‑Edo Local Government Area were shut, the Edo State Government has ordered them to reopen immediately.

On Tuesday, June 9 2026, the Edo State Ministry of Education announced the temporary closure of Ososo Grammar School, Ososo Comprehensive High School and Makeke Secondary School after security intelligence warned of a planned mass abduction of students in the Edo North senatorial district.

The circular, signed by the ministry’s permanent secretary, Enodolomwanyi Otamere, allowed students currently taking the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) to sit for their exams under strict security arrangements.

Four days later, in a new circular, Otamere directed that the affected schools reopen from Monday, June 15 2026.

He said the reopening follows the implementation of enhanced security measures and the deployment of additional safety mechanisms across the communities and schools involved.

“The Government is satisfied that the necessary arrangements have been put in place to ensure the safety and well‑being of learners, teachers and other school personnel,” he said.

“Further to Circular Ref. No. MOE/PS/CIR/001 dated 9th June, 2026, on the temporary closure of some schools due to security concerns, the Edo State Government wishes to inform all stakeholders and the general public that the security situation has been comprehensively reviewed in collaboration with relevant security agencies and other critical stakeholders.”

“Following the implementation of enhanced security measures and the deployment of additional safety mechanisms across the affected communities and schools, the Government is satisfied that the necessary arrangements have been put in place to ensure the safety and well‑being of learners, teachers and other school personnel.”

“Accordingly, approval has been granted for the reopening of all schools previously affected by the temporary closure directive. Consequently, all public and private schools affected by the earlier circular are to resume normal academic and administrative activities with effect from Monday, 15th June, 2026.”

“All school heads, proprietors and relevant education authorities are hereby directed to make the necessary preparations for the safe resumption of students and staff.”

“They are further advised to maintain close collaboration with security agencies, community leaders and relevant Government officials to sustain a safe and conducive learning environment,” he added.

Otamere reassured parents, guardians, education stakeholders and the public that adequate security measures have been deployed across schools in the state.

He also confirmed the government’s full commitment to protecting lives and property, and that it will continue to monitor developments closely while taking all necessary steps to safeguard the education sector.

The permanent secretary urged parents and guardians to ensure their children return to school promptly to continue their academic activities.

Read more on this