ARTICLE AD BOX
…We paid N.5m ransom to abductors without release- Family
By Uko Etim
UYO– A 300‑level Theatre Arts student of the University of Uyo in Akwa Ibom State, Mr Utibe Asian, has reportedly been kidnapped.
It was reported that Asian, who hails from Obio Etoi in Uyo Local Government Area, went missing from home after he was called by a friend on 09066935255 on 2 December last year.
A family source said N500,000 ransom was paid to his abductors in Uyo metropolis, but he was not released.
Explaining the incident to our Correspondent on Tuesday in Uyo, the father of the victim, Pastor Aniefiok Asian, said the above cell phone number called Utibe and he went out to see them at an undisclosed location and never returned home to date.
Asian disclosed that the abductors called him on 3 December and demanded a N30m ransom and later reduced it to N500,000, which was hurriedly paid to a Moniepoint PoS account number 5631337489 with account name Uzor Onuoha Enterprise Bank on 13 December 2025 for the son to regain his freedom but he was not released as expected.
He said after the payment, the kidnappers did not call him and other family members and nothing was heard from the son.
Asian explained that before the ransom was paid, the crime was reported to the Anti‑Kidnapping Unit of Akwa Ibom Police Command on 5 December 2025 while his statement was duly obtained by Mrs Jumbo with phone number 08063171321 and an Investigative Police Officer assigned to follow up the kidnapping case.
The petition reads in parts: “On Wednesday 3rd December 2025 Mr Utibe Aniefiok Asian was abducted by unknown persons within Uyo metropolis.”
“Since the incident we have received calls from an unidentified person believed to be the abductor, his phone no. 09066935255. He also uses my son’s phone no. 09010911529 to call us.”
“The first day, he demanded N30m as ransom and gradually reduced it to N500,000.00 which was paid to him through transfer to PoS Moniepoint account no. 56313337489 within account name Uzor Onuoha Enterprise Bank on 13 December 2025.”
“I was directed to prepare and go to Abak and pick my child back home. Since that day of payment, the abductor did not call again, neither my son’s voice was heard.”
Asian said he had reported the incident to Akwa Ibom state Commissioner for Internal Security Retd Major General Uko Essien and the matter was swept under the carpet.
Asian, while speaking to our Reporter with tears rolling down his cheeks, said he was frustrated and disappointed. He wrote the same petition to the Commissioner of Police in Akwa Ibom Baba Mohammad Azare titled “Report of Suspected Kidnapping In Uyo.”
He said the same incident was reported to the Department of State Security in the state but all to no avail as the security agencies could not track the kidnappers even with some clues submitted to them.
Asian said the current situation is very dicey as he does not know the whereabouts of his son and the abductors.
He therefore urged the Inspector General of Police (IGP) to intervene by using all security apparatus within his reach to rescue his son and trace the abductors.
“I still believe that the security agencies can do their work and I want the IGP to form a rescue team to bring back my son.”
“At least, I should know the perpetrators and they should be brought to book.”
Reacting to the incident, Akwa Ibom state Police Commissioner Baba Azare told our Reporter that the kidnapping case has not been reported to the command.
“I have advised the father of the victim to report through our official channels. Once that is done, we would follow up immediately.”
The post 300-level Theatre Arts UNIUYO student kidnapped in Akwa Ibom appeared first on Vanguard News.

1 hour ago
1











English (US) ·