Garden egg generally known as ‘Igba’ by the Yoruba’s, ‘afufa’ or ‘ahara’ by the Igbo’s is a bitter plant and a highly valued delicacy in Africa. Culturally, it represents blessing and fertility; this is why it is found in wedding ceremonies in some communities in Africa.
Garden egg constituent certain nutrient and it is a member of the vegetable family. It is mostly found in green and cream color. You can eat your Garden egg raw or prepared to give you a pot of stew with a nice aroma. Health benefits of Garden Egg include;
- Garden egg aids weight reduction. This is because garden egg fills up the tummy more quickly and it has high fiber content.
- Garden egg serves as a natural blood tonic to the body.
- It also improves the vision because of the presence of nicotinic alkaloids.
- Garden egg helps in reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases because of the vitamins present.
- For Pregnant Women, the garden egg is best because of its vitamins and minerals.
- Over the years, the garden egg has been known as a helpful anti-cancer fruit.